September 30, 2010

Does money grow on trees?

"paise kya ped par ugtay hain !!! "

The infamous middle class answer to every child's unrealistic demands…

For some strange reason, every time I got this reply from someone, I imagined a gorgeous tree bursting with currency notes ... something like this...
What more: Whenever in need of money, just walk down to the nearest (or the most prosperous :)) money tree, shake the tree, collect the money and vroom...

I for one shook a lot of trees, but only to find dry leaves and fruits (mostly rotten ones), fall over my head.
Perhaps, I was too small to comprehend it when I first got this as a casual reply from my dad, in response to one of my usual stupid demands.
However, I most definitely remember asking my mother to buy and grow a Money Plant so all our financial needs would be addressed. (After all, I had heard so much about the length of the money plant in our neighbors house)

...and to this, my merciless habit of day dreaming and building mental pictures for words I heard further ensured that I never reached out for the real meaning; at least not for the many opportunities that followed over the silly childhood years... 

No. Don’t be surprised! …I’ve spent most of my childhood doing nothing but day dreaming. (Planting money trees in my own world)

As I grew up, I thought more on what if money really grew on trees :)
Would it be 100 rupee notes or 500's :)
Would there be different seeds for different money trees?
And how much would those seeds sell for?
But who would ever want to grow the 5 or 10 rupee ones when you had the option of 100’s and 500’s? (Perhaps, every once in a while for the sake of crop rotation)

And what about coins?
Would they grow under the earth like potatoes and carrots or hang on trees like the guavas and mangoes :)
Would we have any other plants or trees?
Would everybody stop working? (As most people I know work for money)
What if money really grew on trees?
Would money then be worth anything at all?

Like all good things come to an end...
My dreams of money tree soon came to an end as someone assured me that growing money on trees wouldn't solve the problems :( ...

Nevertheless, I soon thought of other alternatives…

[continued in next blog: "Why doesn't government print more money"]

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy the simplicity you bring across explaining these ideas....
    I love reading you Mamaji...

    Please keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Money does grow on tree. Good investing is like planting a tree of money.

    ReplyDelete